A leading supplier of firearm steels, Aubert & Duval has over 65 years’ experience in this defense market segment. It serves the weapon manufacturing sector through both button riffling and hammer forging processes.
For this application, Aubert & Duval offers martensitic grades achieving the best high strength / toughness compromise on the market:
- GKH® and ARMAD™ (CrMoV martensitic steel grade)
- APX®4 (martensitic stainless steel grade)
For barrels that withstand a transverse load during firing, specific care has been given to bars’ transverse properties. Both grades (GKH®, ARMAD™ and APX®4) present a highly isotropic structure giving the material equivalent tensile, ductility and toughness properties, resulting from Aubert & Duval’s high-tech production process.
High performance steels for firearm mechanism parts
All main parts in gun mechanisms – firing pins, extractors, ejectors, breeches – are submitted to shock and intensive wear and are expected to deliver the highest fatigue performance possible. Aubert & Duval offers a wide range of high performance steels for firearm mechanism parts.
Small Caliber: Services and Capabilities
In-house fully-integrated production process:
- NADCAP Heat Treatment
- Approved by major NATO gun manufacturers
- Logistics service provider
- Dedicated products for all manufacturing processes: drilling, machining, cold forming (hammer forging, swaging)
- ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001
- Fully Authorized Economic Operator (AEO)
Firearm Metallurgical Expertise
Benefits for firearm producers/designers
- Higher cold hammering rates, saving material compared with other grades
- Integrated functions like a combustion chamber in the gun barrel design during cold hammering, saving production and assembly costs
- GKH® and ARMAD™’s fatigue/strength upgrading opportunities mean lighter barrels can be designed with thinner wall sections
- Possibility with ARMAD™, the latest grade developed by Aubert & Duval, to achieve very high hardness (44/45 HRC) with high ductility, toughness and very good nitriding capability.
- Ensure stable process and limit disruptions during manufacturing
- Ensure perfect straightness and surface roughness during the cold hammering / swaging operation
Benefits for firearm users
- Keeps perfect straightness during intensive firing and retains accuracy and safety
- Has longer fatigue lifetime, limiting bore ovalization, which causes a lack of accuracy
- Makes lighter weapons possible
- Compatible with upgraded ammunitions
Metal Powders for additive manufacturing
Aubert & Duval can supply metal powder for 3D-printed manufacturing parts for firearms applications can, find out more
For specific grades, dimensions or applications contact us